Sunday, February 12, 2012

Progress Report: Phase 1 of Research Paper

I'm required to document my research and writing process for the Shakespeare research paper I'm doing this month. According to the assignment instructions, here are the components I must include. If I have met those requirements, I have included a link to a post or posts that document my efforts for that component:

Phase 1

Exploration

I’ve had a couple of posts exploring the paper. This one is the start. I originally thought about doing a comparison of Othello and The Children’s Hour, looking at the effect of rumors. Then, as I started to look at The Children’s Hour, I remembered that it starts by quoting The Merchant of Venice. Portia’s speech is about mercy, and as I started looking at secondary sources, I realized the cycles of abuse present, and how mercy is what ends the cycle. (That was talked about in this post. Okay, so I talked about a lot of different paper options in that post.)

Oh yeah, and I even connected this topic to my post talking about the children's performance of The Merchant of Venice.

Textual Analysis

I’ve started up some textual analysis. It’s ongoing, of course, but the start of it is here in this post. I’m going character by character, and I started with Portia.

Social Proof (finding)

I found a couple of social proofs here in this post. The one I was most excited about was a contact I found that led me to looking at modern-day abusive relationship through a Shakespearean lens. I’ve since contacted her and started up a correspondence, so we’ll see how that goes.

Phase 2

Performance Analysis

Annotated Bibliography

Digital media and online resources

Social Proof (contacting)

Phase 3

"Tweethis" statement

Posted draft with peer interaction

Evaluation of a peer's draft

No comments:

Post a Comment