Monday, February 6, 2012

Paper Topics: Let the Fun Begin

Okay. So the more I look in to different paper topics, the more I get excited about different ones. As you know from an earlier post, I started by looking at Othello and The Children’s Hour, and how rumors affect relationships. As I reviewed The Children’s Hour again, though, I remembered that the play starts with a reading from The Merchant of Venice. Then I realized that the whole of both plays could be brought back to the idea of victimization, and cycles of abuse. The abuser becomes the abused in each case, and the audience is left wondering who was in the right in the end.

THEN I started reading All’s Well That Ends Well. I’d seen this play before, but never read it. Then that made me think about gender roles. Some parts of the play remind me of “Wife of Bath’s Tale” in The Canterbury Tales.

So many options! Of course, the topic I have the most research on so far is the cycles of victimization in The Merchant of Venice and The Children’s Hour. I found a couple academic sources on good and evil and justice. And I’ve decided I love Portia’s line in Act IV “Who is the merchant here, and which the Jew?”

Opinions? Is there one topic that sticks out as more interesting to the public (or at least my audience here?)

1 comment:

  1. I really like the idea of looking into abuse cycles because I think with all the different texts you have to look into you could really do something great. I love the "Wife of Bath's Tale" but I think I like the first idea better. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete